Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hanukkah

For all of my Christmas obsession,
it's only fair that I also pay tribute to another festivity in our house. 

Hanukkah
  

Adam is Jewish, 
but only half-Jew by blood. 
His mom is Jewish but his dad isn't. 
However, Judaism follows the mother's blood only. 
So while Adam is only half Jew by blood, he's considered "full Jew"
and entitled to take his birth right trip to Israel 
(he didn't, but his sister did). 

Now, because I am not Jewish, 
even though my child is part-Jew by blood through my husband, 
my child is not considered Jewish. 
If I had converted (obviously didn't), then yes, Aaron would be Jewish.
 

On the other hand, even if my sister-in-law married a non-Jew, 
HER child would be considered full Jew because his mother is Jewish. 
So Aaron is not Jewish but his cousins are. 


Confusing? 
It was to me, too!

I grew up in Central NY, where we had Christians and atheists, and that's it.
In contrast, the Philadelphia area has a very large Jewish population.
Which is where I met Adam at our first job out of college. 


Adam and I primarily follow my Christian roots, 
but we throw a little Jewish tradition in now and then.

Our wedding had a pastor and the ceremony followed all Christian traditions, 
except we also had the Hora at the reception
(where the bride and groom are lifted on chairs and everyone dances - it's FUN!). 
I've never been to synagogue, 
but Adam has been to church (mostly evangelical) lots of times. 


While I can't make latkes, we don't own a driedel, 
and our house generally looks like Christmas threw up all over it
we do have a menorah. 


Last night was the first night of Hanukkah, 
and the menorah is usually lit right after sundown and a blessing is recited.


However, Adam works far too late for him to participate at night. 
And quite frankly, with absolutely no Jewish background 
(the blessing itself is all in Hebrew), 
I really wanted to have this be a tradition that Aaron shares with his daddy.  


So we waited till this morning. 
It was a bit of a rough start, 
with Aaron waking up at 5:30am with a nightmare.
But once we were all showered, dressed, and ready,
 Adam lit the menorah, recited the blessing, 
and Aaron got to watch the "fire." 




Fortunately, the candles burned out before Adam left to take Aaron to daycare. 
We aren't about to let our house by burned down by a menorah, 
so we would've blown them out if we had to, although thats pretty offensive to tradition. 
And we're already being rebels by lighting the menorah in the morning. 
So we didn't want to add insult to injury.
 

2 comments:

  1. I think I followed all of that, so all that to say, happy Chrismukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Amanda's blog and I'm also participating in the 30 Week Writing Challenge, but I'm a few weeks behind (as in, I'm working on my first post for today). Okay, was that a long enough sentence for you?!?

    Anyways, my husband is Jewish so we are raising our kids in both faiths and celebrate Channukah too.

    ReplyDelete