Saturday, December 20, 2014

Top 10 Christmas Movies

Continuing my overly obnoxious obsession with Christmas... 

Christmas Movies.  
I love me a good Christmas movie. 
In fact, I love multiple Christmas movies. 
So much in fact, that I felt the need to rank my top 10 favorites. 
OBVIOUSLY, I need to share these rankings with the world. 
Because that's what any obnoxious extrovert would do. 



1. Love Actually (2003)
Duh. 
This needs no explanation...
but just in case: 
Humor + An entirely lovable cast = the Best Multi-Story-Line movie EVER. 
Oh yeah, and Rick Grimes (Walking Dead) is the best-friend-in-love-with-the-wife. Just let that settle.  



2. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
This brings back a flood of wonderful memories as a child watching this with my dad. 
Ironically, I have not yet cornered Adam into watching it but I will! 
It may be when he's in a retirement home, 
and can't move his wheelchair away from the TV... 
but I'll get him eventually!



3. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (1989)
This is just a classic. 
Yes, I used the word "classic" with National Lampoons, not #2 above. 
Sometimes I'm shocked that my conservative parents let me watch this, 
but yeah, I LOVE it. 
And to see Leonard from the Big Bang Theory as a kid... priceless.



4. Four Christmases (2008)
I hated this movie when we saw it in theaters. 
My expectations were way too high. 
So if you haven't seen it yet, lower your expectations. a LOT. 
All that said, after becoming parents, something changed. 
And now its one of the funniest movies EVER. 



5. The Holiday (2006)
Such a cute movie with a great cast. 
Jude Law (swoon). Jack Black (chuckle). Kate Winslet and Cameran Diaz. 
Oh, and the old dude Arthur gets me every time. 

 

6. White Christmas (1954)
This is more old-school-musical than my normal movie preferences. 
But its one of those "childhood memory" movies. 
Plus it inspired the multiple Bing Crosby Christmas songs that are a permanent part of my Christmas playlist.


 7. Home Alone 3 (1997)
I like the kid in this one SO MUCH better than Macauley Culkin. 
Plus the international terrorists are far superior to the bumbling robbers.

** modified a day later ** 
I forgot the Family Stone!  Ahhh, how could I?  
I think I have to squeeze that one in here: 


7.5. The Family Stone. 
Uptight Sarah Jessica Parker meets crazy New England family? 
I laughed. I cried. I peed my pants. 



8. Die Hard (1988)
This is just a great movie. 
That happens to be set at Christmas. 



9. Home Alone 2 (1992) 
I do so love the hotel.  And the homeless lady.



  10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) 
Soooo... I actually didn't know this was just a TV special until I googled it just now. 
I always thought it was its own VHS tape. 


And apparently, I need to update my favorites to current times. 
My latest favorite is 4 years old. 
Anything good that came out recently?


Movies that did not make my top 10 list and why: 

Elf. 
I know, I know, this is everyone's favorite.  But the entire movie, I just want to punch Will Ferrell in the face. However, this movie does evoke one fond memory: 
Years and years ago, pre-weddings and WAY before babies, a group of 5 of us drank WAY too much at the local bar, stumbled home at 2am (or later, who knows).  My dear friend Rachel was so hungover that she watched Elf on repeat the ENTIRE next day because she was too sick to fetch the remote to change the channel.  
Her now-husband proposed to her that night.


A Christmas Story. 
I hate every single character in this movie. 
There is not one character I like. 
So there. I said it.  
I accept your thrown tomatoes!


Home Alone. 
As I said above, I'm not crazy about Macauley Culkin or the bumbling robbers. 
Home Alone 2 barely makes the list. 
Again, I realize that I am now considered an outcast in Christmas Hollywood. 
But seriously, I can't be perfect all the time!

3 comments:

  1. So many of these are on my list, too! Love Actually is definitely at the top, and since it came out right when Brian and I started dating, I have a special attachment to it :) My favorite story line is with Jamie and Aurelia. But I must ask- WHY is Elf not on this list?! Do you not like it?!

    Oh, and I, too, was not a fan of Four Christmases when we saw it in theater, so I may have to watch it again and see if you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!? No Charlie Brown Christmas?!? Also, Family Stone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought of another one! The Family Man?

    ReplyDelete