Friday, February 27, 2015

Books I've Read (January-February)

I really enjoy a good book to read before I go to bed. 
I certainly don't read every night. 
But I find it helps me to decompress from media over-stimulation
(like an infant = over-stimulation). 
I never, ever read during the day unless I'm on vacation, 
and then I read almost religiously during the day. 


I am a very picky reader, 
but not picky as in a book snob, 
QUITE the opposite in fact. 


I'm an impatient, shallow reader. 
Anything too serious, too poetic, or too predictable just won't do.
Hence why internet articles are my favorite to read, 
although that contradicts my efforts to decompress from media. 
I generally prefer nonfiction, 
but there are always exceptions. 


I find it challenging to find books that fit my shallow requirements.
I don't particularly like Reading Lists,
because that doesn't tell me anything about the book. 
Did you like it? 
Did it suck? 
What should I beware of? 
I prefer reviews like: 
 "This is good except the middle is too heavy
or "I read this and laughed my ass off". 
I decided to keep track of all the books I'm reading 2015, 
and my thoughts on them. 




Consider the Fork: 
A History of How We Cook and Eat. 

It's like a history class in my favorite subject: FOOD. 
I was very enthusiastic about it in the beginning, 
and the Pots-and-Pans chapter was definitely my favorite as I learned SO MUCH. 
It got REALLY boring in the middle, 
and although it briefly revitalized itself during the Ice (refrigeration) chapter, 
I abandoned the book shortly thereafter. 
If you are a smarter person than me, 
you may like this.





Food: A Love Story 
by Jim Gaffigan. 

(See a pattern here? FOOD!!!) 
This book fits perfectly into my style of reading. 
Short, simple chapters that read like a conversation. 
The beginning of the book establishes his credentials
(he likes to eat food, that's basically is) 
but the real humor is dividing America into arbitrary food groups and tackling each one. 
(I live in the "Superbowl Sunday" food group and I love it!) 
Fair Warning: 
If you live in North East Coast and love your seafood, prepare to be offended. 
I laughed out loud (and woke Adam up) when he described oysters as "sea snot." 

After that, its a series of rants and praises over different general types of food. 
Everything from vegetable hatred to a love story on bacon. 
 It's not a classic, but I definitely laughed my ass of.




 Dad is Fat 
by Jim Gaffigan 

Based on the success of the previous book, 
I stuck with Jim Gaffigan again. 
This book is at its core a humorous take on parenting (he has 5 kids). 
This felt a little slow at first, 
but the mid/ending had many more laugh-out-loud moments. 
Overall I thought the first one about food was far funnier than this one.  



 Yes Please 
by Amy Poehler

I really wanted to love this book 
(especially after waiting two months on the library waitlist), 
but I have to be honest that it was one of my least favorite of the comedy books. 
Although easy to read,
the tone felt a little "debbie downer," 
whether it was the super sad chapter on Haitian orphans or what, 
but I didn't look forward to reading it. 
Ironically, the funniest chapter was on divorce, where I LOL'ed a lot.

 There's a TON of name-dropping that would be cooler if I knew who those famous people were, but I'm just not up on my comedic celebrities. 
Like Seth Meyers... I always picture Seth Rogen. 
Unlike Tina and Mindy's book, 
where I felt I could understand the book without watching shows, 
the fact that I've seen so little SNL and even less Parks & Rec, 
really killed my appreciation. 
I'm convinced a better "comedic connoisseur" would LOVE this book.


*Also, Aaron thinks that Amy Poehler looks just like Taylor Swift 
and always points to the cover saying: "Shake Off! Shake Off!" 
and expects music to start playing. 




MotherStyles 
by Janet Penley

 Totally switching gears from the comedic books, 
this book is a practical application of Myers-Briggs Personality Typing 
and tying it into motherhood. 
Of course, I loved it, 
but I have an entire separate post to go through my thought on the book. 


 And that's it for the last two months. 
Total tally: 4.75 books 
 (3/4 of Consider the Fork)
 Contrary to what the calculation would tell you, 
I am a very fast reader. 
I just don't read that often. 


So any books you would add to my future reading lists? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm TRYING to start reading actual books again (rather than just buzzfeed articles and blog posts...) so I might be asking you for help. And too funny about Aaron's Taylor/Amy mix-up!

    ReplyDelete