Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Week 10: The Weather

Week 10 in the 30 Week Writing Challenge

The Weather



We've hit the point of summer where I'm OVER the heat. 
Like SO OVER IT. 

I'm usually done with heat anyway
but this is the first summer where I run AFTER work, 
rather than at 5am. 
And running in the afternoons right now is a little like... 
 


Every week I scan the 10-day weather forecast, 
and hope and HOPE AND HOPE 
that the temperatures will keep going down. 
I'm thinking low 70s is a good sweet spot. 
Warm enough you don't need a jacket in the morning, 
but cool enough that you can go to the park without sweating in the evening. 


As much as I whine 
and complain about the weather, 
("It's too cold" "It's too hot") 
I LOVE the change in seasons. 

My favorite times of year include: 

The first snow
I get all childlike giddy over the first snow
SNOWWWWWW!!!!!
Where I grew up in NY, 
the first snow came before Halloween, 
and all Halloween costumes had to fit over the standard-issue puffy snow suit. 
The plus side was that white Christmases were guaranteed
Here in PA, just one state south, 
we never have a white Christmas. 
Boo.



The first warm week in spring
The first day I can venture outside without a jacket, 
I'm all... 


The first cool week in the fall.

Probably just a few weeks away and 
I'm welcoming this with open arms. 
Not just for the overrated pumpkin spice lattes. 
But because...  


Yup, THAT.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having a very hard time imagining puffy suits with Halloween costumes considering I remember spending MANY a Halloween sweating under whatever costume I had on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Hallowe'en costumes with puffy snowsuits. Growing up in Saskatchewan, we just prayed that there wouldn't be snow on Hallowe'en! I do love experiencing all four seasons.And YES YES YES to The Sound Of Music twirling on the first beautiful day of spring :)

    ReplyDelete