Monday, October 12, 2015

Aaron-isms

It seems poor Aaron has gotten the boot from the blog. 
My mindset is all 
pregnancy, 
pregnancy, 
pregnancy


But there have been a few funny things lately that I want to capture. 
 

***

We keep telling Aaron: 
"mommy has a baby in her tummy." 
Aaron replies: 
"Aaron has a baby in his tummy!"

Um...
Not quite, dude. 
And unless there are some major scientific advances, 
I don't think you ever will.

***

I thought we would have a few more years before 
Aaron found bodily functions to be funny. 
Not so. 
Here we have two examples of this raunchy boy humor:


1. The Dinner Time Honesty. 

We are at my in-laws for Rosh Hoashanah 
(which btw, I have to google how to spell every time
And during a brief quiet moment in the meal, 
Aaron smiles in that I've-done-something-bad way, 
and whispers: 
"I farted."

I nearly fell out of my chair. 
Everyone is just cracking up, 
slash shaking their heads at the riduclous level of honesty. 
Really, child? 
REALLY?


2. The Important Announcement 

Aaron was upstairs fetching a toy, 
while Adam and I were talking in the kitchen downstairs. 
We hear: "Mommmmy!!! Daddddy!!!" 
We keep talking because, naturally, 
we're adults and we sometimes try to actually finish our conversations. 
But it persists. 
"Mommmmy!  Dadddyyy!
Mommmy!  Daddddyy! 
Mommmy!  Daddddyy!" 
Finally, we shout up the stairs in unison: 
"Yes?" 
Reply: "I farted." 

For the record, I blame Adam for all of the above offending events. 

***

On the flip side of the raunchy boy humor, 
we have this: 
 
When I pick Aaron up from daycare, 
3 out of 5 days a week, 
he is dressed in a purple princess dress. 
Usually with cowboy boots underneath. 
He's the only child in the classroom who wears the dress. 
And it's a fight to take it off to go home. 
His teacher has told me: 
"We tell Aaron: 'You are so handsome!' 
And he replies: 'No, I beautiful.'"
 On a serious note, 
I very firmly believe that children should have the freedom 
to explore whatever gender role play they want. 
If girls want to play with trucks and superheroes, 
and boys want to dress up in princess dress and play with Barbies, 
so be it. 
Most of the time, it's just a phase. 
But even if it's not just a phase, 
I want to make sure Aaron knows that I love and accept him no matter what. 
Purple princess dress and all. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, toddlers, how you keep us amused (and sometimes awake at night)! Re: your last paragraph- you probably wouldn't appreciate that when I dole out eating utensils during mealtime at our house, I always give Clara the "girly" colors and Colby the "boy" colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish HIPPA laws didn't prevent me from showing you a picture I have at school of one of my preschoolers during dress up. He's wearing a construction worker vest on top (as I would expect because this kid is "all boy") and on the bottom - a pink sparkly tutu and high heels. Kids at that age just don't see it like we do. They like what's bright and fun and eccentric, no matter what gender. They aren't making decisions about gender identity yet because they haven't fully come to recognize societal gender norms. I always tell people that in our class we dress up like the Village People - flamboyant community helpers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww... the honesty and candor of kids. At least he's not mentioning when you're farting?! Is that a bright side? :)

    I have an awesome picture of Sam and his best girl friend from when he was two wearing tutus. They look awesome! And I love your last lines.

    ReplyDelete