Monday, October 19, 2015

Goals for this Pregnancy

My first pregnancy I had these lofty ridiculous expectations 
all of which I can't remember, 
and I'm sure I accomplished absolutely none of them.
This time I have two goals: 

1. Deliver a healthy baby. 

This is obviously always #1. 
Be safe. 
Make good choices. 
No shooting up heroine or anything. 


2.  Attempt VBAC

I've talked about this a lot with my OBGYN practice. 
They are 100% on board as long as the baby is measuring "normal" or smaller. 

(As reference, I gained 40 lbs even my first pregnancy. 
Aaron was 10 lbs 4.7 oz, 
with a 99% percentile head circumference)

40 weeks with Aaron 
I'm hoping this was a no-makeup shot because whoa, rosacea!


At 38 weeks, I will go for an ultrasound to determine the baby's size. 
Although not perfect, the ultrasound should be within a 10-15% range, 
which isn't much. 
If the baby is clocking in at 7 lbs, 
they'll let me go for a VBAC. 
If the baby is clocking in at 9 lbs, 
then scheduled c-section it is. 

So how do I produce a smaller baby? 
Well it's not as easy as ordering off a menu. 
(pity) 
There are two factors to consider: 

Lifestyle = gaining less weight should produce smaller baby
Genetics = no matter what, my body is designed to grow a big baby 

Obviously, I can only affect one of those. 
If it's genetics, then there's nothing to stop a secondary 10.5 lbs baby. 
But let's focus on the variable factors...

PLAN

a) Actually watch what I eat. 
I'm not saying I ate pints of ice cream with Aaron, 
but I certainly wasn't eating salads either. 
I pretty much ate what I wanted when I wanted, 
which if you remember my love of food
meant some pretty unhealthy choices. 

This time, I'm going to try to watch my calories. 
Of course I give myself permission to splurge occasionally, 
but if I do have a few days of excess, 
I'm going to try to make up for it 
with a stricter diet
and more exercise.

Which leads me to... 

b) Exercise = Running!

With Aaron, 
I stopped running regularly at 14 weeks, 
and then quit altogether after 18 weeks.
I felt uncomfortable and 
(first pregnancy and all) 
I was nervous and decided not to push through it. 

This time I want to keep running for a LOT longer. 
I'm still running after work 
and as we dive into PSL season
I've been enjoying the cool crisp weather.

I honestly don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up. 
I don't want to make myself promises like: 
"Oh, I'll run all the way to 40 weeks
because that's just setting myself up for disappointment. 
It is physically possible (and safe!) for the female body to run at 40 weeks, 
but I don't know if I have it in me.
I DO know that I want to push myself further than I did with Aaron. 
So anything past 18 weeks will be success. 
But I am hoping for much more.


c) Prenatal Yoga 

I started prenatal yoga at 20 weeks with Aaron. 
While I made the mistake of substituting "real" exercise with yoga, 
I'm a MILLION TIMES thankful that I did yoga. 

I met my BFF Virginia who we now do Monthly Kid Swap with. 
I found our beloved pediatrician through class recommendations. 
And I truly believe that yoga contributed 
to the easiest c-section recovery in the history of birthing babies. 

This time, even if I am not successful at VBAC, 
I want to set myself up for an easy recovery. 
And if prenatal yoga contributed even a little bit to that, 
I'm all about it!

2 comments:

  1. I am way impressed with these goals and wish you the best of luck! I didn't go crazy with eating during pregnancy but I DID love that I had an excuse to splurge more frequently without feeling bad about it... "it's for the babies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of your pregnancy goals. I didn't run at all during either of my pregnancies but I did walk an hour a day in my pregnancy with Sam (to work and back), and that was all the way to 39 weeks.

    ReplyDelete