Monday, November 30, 2015

Books I Read (Oct-Nov)

Once again, a series of uneducated book reviews. 



 The Knockoff 
by Lucy Sykes

I LOVED THIS BOOK. 
I started it right after the "Royal We
and even though the "Royal We" seems to be more popular this summer, 
I loved this book so much more

This is the first book in a long, long, long time 
that I stayed up to all hours of the night reading. 
(It was a rough day at work the next day)
The book flows beautifully, 
and I rushed through it without feeling like I was rushing. 
It's also incredibly relevant to today's culture, 
and I found the main character to be among the most likeable 
of all main characters I've read recently 
(in comparison, I found the main character of the "Royal We" to be a quite "damsel in distress"-y at times, and I'm not a fan of that type of personality)




Eat, Shoots, and Leaves 
by Lynne Truss

This was recommended to me by Amanda
And it definitely taught me that I'm NOT as smart as I think I am. 
Halfway through the first chapter, 
I began to question all sorts of "rules" I thought I knew. 
It's definitely a funny book 
in terms of a 
"fed up with society's stupidity" sort of way.  




The Woman I Wanted to Be 
by Diane von Furstenberg

I liked this book more than I expected to! 
I sped-read the first half of the book all in one evening. 
Her parents' story, her childhood, and her loves are just captivating. 

The second half, about her career, 
was less interesting but still a good read. 
This book has a lot of name-dropping, 
and definitely comes off a bit brag-ish, 
but I don't mind bragging when it is earned. 

Generally, I am a stickler for chronological order. 
This book is not so
and I didn't mind it one single bit. 

Overall, I really loved this book 
and highly recommend it, if only for the first half. 



 How to Look Hot in a Minivan
By Janice Min

This was a cute book, 
but definitely dated. 
While I love specific clothing and makeup advice, 
it's hard to take seriously when it's several years old. 
If you have any sort of celebrity fascination, 
I would definitely recommend it. 
Overall, it's a great pep talk for a mom who gave up 
(or is worried about giving up), 
but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. 


 
Primates of Park Avenue 
by Wednesday Martin phD

I LOVED this book. 
I read it a little every day for a week. 
Normally I go on power reading sessions, 
then put down the book for weeks.  

Not to reiterate the book summary, 
but it's an anthropologist's insight into the Upper East Side. 
Or in short, it's the Mommy Guide for Gossip Girl junkies. 
If you like learning about the top 0.01% wealthy, 
from the perspective of an anthropologist, 
it's fascinating

And not to give anything away, 
but her conclusions weren't exactly what I expected either. 
Very interesting.




2 comments:

  1. So glad you gave Eats, Shoots, and Leaves a chance, however cynical and ridiculous it might be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since it's Christmas Day, I now have time to catch up on my blog reading! Ha!

    And your Christmas gift to me was a whole bunch of book recommendations. If you liked "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" then you should also read "Just Between You & Me." It was also super interesting and left me feeling a little bit dumb :)

    ReplyDelete