Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Week 21: Someone who inspires you

Week 21 of the 30 Week Writing Challenge

Someone who inspires you


When I think of inspiring, 
I think of people who made a choice to persevere through life's hardest times. 
No doubt that celebrities and athletes have had hard times, 
but when I think of the hardest of times, 
I think of losing a child. 
And then losing another. 


My inspiration is my Grandma and Granddad. 
Both deceased now, 
but I remember them so so so so vividly. 


Grandma and Granddad met in college at Oregon State
(Nope: I was later informed I have pregnancy brain. 
They met in highschool.  Yikes, Emily.)
They married and had four children: 
three girls and a boy. 
(Can you see my Mommy Cheryl?  Far left girl with the big smile)

 
 The oldest, Karen, died in a car accident as a teenager. 
Her boyfriend was driving and not watching the road. 
They hit a cement truck, 
and she died in the hospital. 

Their third daughter, my Mommy Cheryl, 
died of breast cancer at age 29, 
when I was 6 months old. 


My grandmother and grandfather buried two of their four children, 
yet were by far the most wonderful people I have ever met. 
There was no trace of bitterness or anger. 
They loved God, prayed regularly, and were active in the church. 
They were social, enjoyable people, 
who always smiled and made their house a warm inviting place. 

I grew up listening to wonderful stories of my Aunt Karen and Mommy Cheryl. 
Joyful stories of their life and how wonderful they were. 


I want to live life as my grandparents did. 
I'm not always that good at it. 
I whine. 
I complain. 
I get mad at stupid little things that don't matter. 


But I would like oh so much to be more like my grandparents.


3 comments:

  1. I love this- they sound like wonderful people that handled the tough cards they were dealt with a lot of grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma and Grandad actually met in High School. When Grandma went to Oregon State, he went to the war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't imagine how hard that must have been for them. I can totally see why you picked them as the people who inspired you.

    ReplyDelete