Thursday, December 31, 2015

Books I Read (December)

I always prefer chronological order, 
but my love letter to Mindy Kaling is so damn long, 
that I stuck it at the bottom. 
You are warned. 
 #Girlboss 
by Sophia Amoruso 

I picked up this book with the attitude:
 "fine, nothing else is available, I guess I'll read it." 
I expected it to be a "GIRL POWER" book about being a big bad CEO. 
Yawn. 
But not so!

In contrast, the book is very interesting life story 
(and her life choices, VASTLY different than I would ever make) 
as well as a great summary of basic life lessons, 
that can apply to a CEO or a stay-at-home-mom. 
I wouldn't call it my favorite book this month 
(oh no, that love letter is at the bottom), 
but I liked it much more than I expected. 




Counting by 7s 
by  Holly Goldberg Sloan

This book is very easy to read 
because it's written from a child's perspective. 
However, the subject matter (loss of parents) is VERY heavy 
and therefore makes it a dark and depressing book. 
I wouldn't recommend this for your cheery vacation by the beach. 
That said, if you can get through the depressing parts, it's a well-written book that will [eventually] put a smile on your face. 

Also, I was a bit shocked to find this in the children's section of the library. 
When I commented on the dark subject matter, 
the librarian responded: 
"Well, Harry Potter is here too." 
I guess that makes sense.



 Why Not Me? 
By Mindy Kaling 


It is absolutely amazing how much I identify with Mindy Kaling, 
yet have never seen more than a minute of her on TV. 

Both her books "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me" 
and "Why Not Me" are my most favorite celebrity books 
by a lonnnng shot. 
I'm AFRAID to watch Mindy's show in fear I will like her less
This book is just as good as the first, 
perhaps even better. 
There are 2 boring chapters, 
mostly made-up scenarios in her head, 
and I just skimmed those. 

The rest, though, is pure gold

I generally dislike direct book quotes, 
but these were just TOO GOOD:

"People don't say 'give me your honest opinion'
 because they want an honest opinion. 
They say it because it's rude to say
 'please tell me I'm amazing."


"When you meet me, 
within the first five minutes I have loudly explained my whole deal to you. 
With the exception of an auctioneer and maybe Kris Jenner, 
there is no one in the world less mysterious than me" 

"I want him to think I have a carefree personality, 
which is a lie. 
I have a very anxious, argumentative personality.


"Attending the White House correspondents dinner 
as a guest of the New Yorker was a dream realized, 
especially since none of the editors touched any of the rolls in our artisan bread basket,
 which meant I could have at 'em. 
While I chewed on my eleventh brioche rolls...


(Just letting you know, if I'm ever invited to a White House Correspondents dinner, 
I too will be eating 11 brioche rolls.) 

Ok, ok, ok. 
Enough gushing. 
I'm done. 
Until she publishes another book and then... be warned.  

 

1 comment:

  1. Now I kind of want to read all of these. #booknerdproblems :)

    ReplyDelete