Monday, February 29, 2016

Books I Read (Jan-Feb)

Time for another installment of "Books I've Read." 
I expect this series to dwindle to nothing 
as soon as Baby #2 makes his debut. 
Some women can breastfeed and read. 
I am not that talented. 



Who Do You Love? 
By Jennifer Weiner 

(btw, terribly unfortunate last name for the author. 
My breast-cancer doctor is Dr. Weiner 
and my OB always jokes that he should have gone into proctology...) 

A different style of book, 
written from the perspectives of two different people. 
Really interesting in how life events keep bringing them together. 
It's not a page-turner, 
but it has some really nice/fun parts, 
and then some pretty boring/depressing parts, 
so a good pick-up-and-put-down book. 
Oh, and some pretty detailed coitus scenes, too. 
Not like 50 Shades of Grey or anything, 
but it doesn't leave much to the imagination. 
Despite my overall "meh" review, 
I would actually recommend this book.





The Handmaid's Tale 
by Margaret Atwood 

This is one of those classic literary books, 
full of symbolism and all that; 
perfect for a highschool English class. 

I hate those books. 

It's heavy. 
It goes pages and pages without any dialogue. 
It's more into "setting the scene" than actually getting through the scene. 
Just not my kind of book. 
Also a prime example why English was my least favorite class ever. 


 
Brave Enough
by Cheryl Strayed

I'm not sure what I thought I was getting into, 
but it's just a bunch of long quotes. 
I guess it's meant as an "inspirational" book, 
but I get the same amount of inspiration by scrolling through Pinterest. 





The Nightingale 
By Kristin Hannah

This book. 
Oh my. 
The first 1/4-1/3 is pretty slow. 
Slow enough that I was like: 
"Geez, I dunno if I can get through this." 
Then all of a sudden, 
It picks up and doesn't stop. 
I was absolutely captivated by it, 
And read it all in ONE NIGHT. 
Can't tell you the last time I did that. 

Now I do fess up to some skimming. 
The author is very descriptive, 
And sometimes stopped to "paint the picture" while I was ready to dive into the action. 
But still, I couldn't put it down. 

Now, a forewarning, this may not be the best book for hormonal pregnant women or emotional mothers. 
It is heart-breaking. 
It's gut-wrenching. 
There were times I teared up picturing Aaron. 
It's not a read for the faint of heart. 




I didn't come here to make friends: 
Confessions of a Reality Show Villain 
by Courtney Robertson 

After the heavy book that was The Nightingale, 
I needed something mindless and shallow. 
This fit the bill! 

I don't watch the Bachelor.
I've tried several times and my record viewing time is around 2.5 minutes.
This had all the juicyness of the show without actually having to suffer through the show itself. If all Bachelor/Bachelorette shows were written in book form, 
I may be a fan! 

Also, let's address pretty quickly that every single girl in this book 
- author included - 
is a complete and total moron. 
Or at the very least, a complete and total moron about men
but I guess that makes sense considering it's Reality TV. 

In summary, it's never-ending stupid decisions made by idiotic girls searching for love.
 Kind of like watching a train wreck or car crash. 
 It amused me at least!

1 comment:

  1. Books I read (Jan-Feb): ______________________________

    ReplyDelete