Thursday, June 30, 2016

Book I Read (May-June)



All the Light We Cannot See 
by Anthony Doerr

I struggled through this book. 
On the positive, it's not as dark and haunting as "The Nightingale
and the two story lines were different than I'd read about before 
(as in, I'd never read a story from the view of the Hitler Youth) 
but the jumping from past-to-present was a little much for me. 
Obviously much smarter people than I loved this book, 
considering it won a Pulitzer Prize. 
But... not for me. 




The Power of Habit 
by Charles Duhigg 

This was one of the first ever books I had bookmarked to read, 
so probably years ago. 
I'd been saving it for a time in my life were I could really absorb it. 
(And I don't mean just New Year's Eve resolutions.) 
Now on this new journey to being a SAHM, 
I decided it was the perfect time to dive in. 

And oh my did I LOVE this book! 
It reminded me of my favorite college courses: 
academic science mixed with real life stories. 
Real stories that ranged from Target's pregnancy-predictor 
to Tony Dungy's football coaching style 
to building the modern day church. 

The real-world application of this book is really outstanding, 
and gave me a lot of ideas on how I want to structure my SAHM life 
to accommodate those habits I want. 





Spark Joy 

by Marie Kondo

The follow-up to The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying. 
This wasn't as life-changing (har har) as the first, but it was a fun refresher. 
I picked up a few tidbits, 
and rather than dedicating an enormous post to the book, 
I'll just list some of the helpful hints here: 

Never keep anything because it may 'come in handy.' 
If you discard it, you will be so much more careful in buying its replacement. 

Store your spaces to 90%. 
Full, but not stuffed. 
We tend to fill empty space. 

The best kitchen is the one that's easy to clean, 
so store as much in cupboards and keep your counters empty. 
This includes dish soaps and sponges. 

Bathroom become cluttered because people fail to use the full height under sink. 
Buy drawers or wire racks to utilize the space. 




In The Arena 
by Charlton Heston

CONFESSION TIME:  
My all-time favorite celebrity crush is Charlton Heston circa Ben Hur. 
Disregard the fact that he is old enough to be my great-grandfather, 
I think his character in Ben Hur is one of the sexiest of all times. 
Even outranking Brad Pitt in Fight Club or Gerald Butler in 300. 
Swoon.  

You can make fun of me, it's ok. 

Reading Charlton Heston's autobiography is like listening to your grandfather tell stories of the good ol' days. 
There's a lot of reminiscing about the "back when ___" 
and a lot of "I refuse to be politically correct" statements. 
Despite disagreeing with him on a lot of his views 
(and he has a LOT), 
I appreciate the honesty; it's refreshing for a celebrity read. 
Despite being pretty long (it took me almost a month and a half to read)
I found this book really enjoyable, if not downright amusing. 

Yes, of course, some chapters are more boring than others. 
Generally it's more interesting if you've actually seen the movies, 
but even those I hadn't seen were pretty fun.  

Also, I'd like to point out that Charlton Heston is one of the very few actors in Hollywood who married once and stayed with his wife until his death. 
So not only is he dreamboat in Ben Hur, 
but he's also a devoted dude in real life. 
Let the swooning continue. 

***


And lastly, I think it's fair to acknowledge... 

Books I Started to Read but Gave Up On:  



I'll Give You the Sun 
by Jandy Nelson 

The "it" book for Spring 2016. 
Bloggers kept talking about this book, 
and someone  said it was "laugh out loud funny." 
Well, whoever that person was, 
their humor and my humor are VASTLY different. 

This book was so horribly depressing that I gave up on it, 
skipped to the end, 
read the last chapter, 
and thought: 
"Wow I'm glad I didn't struggle through the whole book for that." 

My apologies to the literary community, but #nope. 








1 comment:

  1. Guess what - I actually read a book last month! That's what airplane rides will do for you. It was called "Orphan Train," and it was really good!

    ReplyDelete