Thursday, June 16, 2016

SAHM

I graduated college in May 2007, 
and started work three months later (where I met Adam). 


Over these past 9 years, I have ALWAYS been employed.  
I may change jobs or change companies, 
but I've always worked


As of today, I gave my notice to my company.  
I am a stay-at-home-mom. 
Or SAHM if you prefer. 


My last day of short-term disability was Monday (8-weeks paid for c-section), 
and I would've been unpaid through mid-July anyway (the rest of the 12-week FMLA), 
so it was appropriate to give my boss as much notice as I could.  


Adam and I have been talking about this for a while. 
With Aaron, I had to go back to work because Adam was in law school, 
we had a mortgage, 
and um, yeah, kind of need money for that. 
But with Oliver it was different. 
Adam has his job at Big Law Firm, 
which adequately covers our needs, 
so this time it was actually an option. 


I've been drafting a post about my fears of being a SAHM.  
The truth is that I have a lot of uncertainty about it. 
But I want to at least give it a shot. 
See how I do and all.  


Of course, I already have a solid month of practice. 
As I wrote in my 6 week postpartum update
I've already been "learning" how to be home. 
Learning how to maximize my time and all that. 
And it's been fun; it really has. 
But the fears and uncertainty are still there. 


In short, Adam summed up our decision perfectly:  
"It's not a contract. 
If you decide you hate being a stay-at-home, 
then you'll just go get a job again. 
But you won't know until you try." 

Yes. 


Aaron with Oliver when Oliver was just 1.5 weeks old. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm certain you won't regret it (even in the crazy points)- excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part for me has always been explaining to other people that I don't work outside the home. Folks can be pretty judgmental, and you really have to feel confident in your decision. You'll have the rest of your life to focus on your career, but your children are only young for a brief moment in time.

    My favorite part of being a SAHM is preparing nutritious, healthy meals for my family. Our cabinets are always well stocked, and I love being able to take my time when I'm shopping.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the judgmental thing is one fear I most definitely have! And I absolutely agree that I love taking my time shopping, have well-stocked cabinets, and spending more time on meals. Glad to hear someone else say that because here I thought I was alone in that. :)

      Delete
  3. That's great! It was always a dream of mine but always a pipe dream - I knew it wouldn't work in our family (financially). Now that I'm not in Audit anymore, I do find I have much better balance and actually spend a lot more time with my kids than I thought possible. They are gone every day from about 8-3 which is obviously a huge chunk of the day but much better than when I was auditing. I don't like that I have to work, but at least I have much better balance now and a lot more time with them. And I agree with your husband - if it isn't right for you, then you'll go back to work. It's nice to have options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! In my experience, the fears and uncertainty are always there but you learn to live with it. And you always have options to go back to work if you want. I'm excited to read along on this new journey :)

    ReplyDelete