Thursday, December 15, 2016

Gilmore Girls : A Year in the Life

Warning: nothing but spoilers ahead 

***

I was an original Gilmore Girls lover. 
I still own the DVD boxes series, 
except the 7th season because that should never have been filmed. 
So needless to say, I was psyched for the revival. 
And even though it came out on Black Friday, 
I JUST finished it now because I'm slooooow. 
I could rattle off excuses like kids and husbands and stuff, 
but truthfully I'm just slow. 

***



The chronological order of my thoughts runs as: 

"Ahhh, it feels so good to be back. I love it.  All the heart eyes!!!! 
.. Uh, I don't like this development, but ok. 
... Wait, wtf?  This is stupid 
... Noooo, it's the 7th season all over again! 
... Make it stop! Make it stop! 
... Ok it's redeeming itself. 
... YES YES YES THAT WAS AMAZING. 
ALL THE HEART EYES."

*** 

Some more specific thoughts... 


- WHY KEEP THE THEME SONG UNTIL THE VERY END? WHY WHY WHY


- Rory as a mistress. No. 
Didn't we already learn that she sucks at this with Dean?  
DO WE LEARN NOTHING? 


- Star Hollow musical: 
Did they film the whole thing and realize they were 30 min short? 
Because that's what it felt like. 


- I never liked Logan. 
Or Jess. 
I admit this was a major problem with my relationship with Gilmore Girls. 
I always loved Dean; I still love Dean. 
Sucks


- That said, now that Milo Ventimiglia is the dad in This Is Us, 
it totally transforms his Jess character 
and now I think he's very appealing (personality, not looks).  


- I do love Luke more than life. 
Everything about Luke is perfection. 


- Also Emily Gilmore, particularly at the DAR, is outstanding. Out-stand-ing. 
Kelly Bishop should win an Emmy for her performance. 
(I googled it; she hasn't) 


- The greatest role Melissa McCarthy will ever play (in my mind) is Sookie. 
She was the best ever. 


- I know lots of people felt "meh" about the ending. 
I didn't see it coming and I loved it for that reason. 



Update
Far better writers than I at the NY Times wrote up a review of Gilmore Girls and I agree 101% with their review here

2 comments:

  1. Ditto on most of your thoughts! I loved the first episode, thought the second and third were just weird, and mostly loved the 4th EXCEPT I thought the whole Life & Death Brigade sequence was stupid and I did not like the ending. I realize Rory is a grown woman but I don't think being jobless/homeless/sleeping around is who Rory really is!! I know ASP wanted the story to come full circle (show started out with Lorelai pregnant at the same age), but still. I will be pissed if Logan is the dad so I'm hoping there's some outside chance she and Jess hooked up and he's the dad. He bugged me on the show, too, but as a goody goody growing up, I saw the appeal of falling for the bad (but still intelligent and caring) boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed overall. Parts of it were great (EMILY!!!) but some weren't (Who is Rory? So shocked by who she turned out to be.). There were too many weird parts (the town musical, Lorelai's 'Wild' adventure, the wookie?). I'm glad they did it, glad Lorelai and Luke finally married, but meh. :(

    ReplyDelete