Tuesday, June 6, 2017

SAHM: Common Questions

June is SAHM month! 
No it isn't, 
but I'm making it that because its the anniversary of me giving notice. 

So this segment, I'm going to dive into the questions I get asked the most. 
Most of these are from my Working Mom Friends, 
or just my Working Childless Friends. 

Some people get their panties in a twist over questions like these, 
and I think that's ridiculous. 
I always welcome any kind of questions people have. 


Do I like it? 

I wrote at length about this in my last post, 
but the short is: 

ABSOLUTELY YES. 
Of course, like anything in life, there are good days and bad days. 
But overall the good far outweighs the bad. 

(An example of an exceptionally good day)

I know I should be spouting off some sort of rhetoric 
about how much I love spending time with my kids
 and how it's challenged me and made me a better mom... 
blah blah blah. 
No, that's not really it. 
I mean, I do love spending time with my kids. 
And I've found that I miss them more now that I'm home all the time. 

I love having the time to do all the things I want to do. 
I already wrote all about that so I'm not going to go back into it here. 


Do I miss work? 
No. 
Absolutely not. 
I never loved my job. 
I was great at my job 
and I liked the people I worked with, 
but I never loved what I did. 
And I don't miss it. 

I don't miss the work environment either. 
The toggling between crazy-busy-stress and 
finding-the-end-of-the-internet-boredom

I'm 10x more productive at home, 
and even when I am stressed at home, 
it's all under my own control


What the hell do you do all day

I posted a super detailed time study for 3 weeks
 (week 1, week 2, week 3). 
I spend a lot of time getting my kids ready to do shit. 
Get ready for the day, 
get ready for nap, 
get ready to go out the door, 
etc. 

I spend time on leisure (reading, running, yoga) that I wouldn't otherwise have time for. 
I also spend a lot of my time doing a ton of little shit like laundry and house cleaning, etc. 

Truthfully, even after doing a time study, 
I couldn't tell you exactly what I spend ALL day doing. 
But I can tell you for certain that I get to do all the things I want. 
Does that make sense? 


Would you ever go back? 

Absolutely yes. 
I would like to start back part-time when all the kids are in school. 
I want to get them on and off the bus, 
but I think I can be productively earning money during those 7 hours in between. 
Right now the vast majority of my productivity comes at nap time, 
which affords me about 3 no-distraction productive hours in the middle of the day. 
Would I need 7? 
 That seems to be a stretch. 

Then, when all the kids are in college, 
I would expect to go back full time. 
Just like when Adam and I were childless. 

Of course, these are my thoughts now, 
and I'll be very interested to look back on these thoughts in 8 or 9 years when they start to become a reality! 


As a Working Mom  (or Working Single Person), what other questions would you ask? 
As a SAHM, what other questions have you been asking? 


2 comments:

  1. I guess I never thought about the ability to get all the little shit done during the day, but working from home has changed my life for that - I cook on conference calls and can fold laundry and all that. And I pick the kids up at 3:00 every day which is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very interesting! So I'm curious as to what your plan is to stay trained and "ready" to go back to work at some point if you decide to do so- I know people do it but I've always wondered what it entailed/how it went!

    ReplyDelete