Monday, July 31, 2017

Books I Read (June-July)


Annie on my mind 
By Nancy Garden

Meh.
It was fine.
I didn't hate it but it didn't enthrall me either.
It was just fine. 



Nine Women, One Dress
By Jane L Rosen 

This was a cute book. 
It's one of those many-interconnected-stories books
which is nice because it rarely gets dull,
but on the other hand sometimes I'd start a chapter
and have no idea if a character had already been introduced or not. 
Overall, good chicklit beach read. 



The Year of Living Danishly 
By Helena Russell 

Great book: very informative with a heavy dose of wit and sarcasm built in. 
I love statistics and cultural comparisons so it was right up my ally
and I would recommend it to anyone with the same interest. 
My only caution is that since it's so packed with knowledge, 
I had to read only a chapter (or less) a day
because otherwise I felt my brain overflowing. 

Additionally, I went through great lengths to get it since it wasn't in our library system
("great lengths" = talking to a library and filling out an inter-library loan request). 



A Man Called Ove 
By Fredrick Backman 

I can't say enough good things about this book. 

I didn't want to read it because the premise wasn't appealing
(a grumpy old man? yawn)
but this book won me over instantly.
It was truly a delight to read and I wanted it to never end.
It hit on every emotion from laughter to anger to tears.
It is a fantastic book and I recommend it to absolutely everyone. 
 It is, perhaps, in my top 10 favorite books. 



Hillbilly Elegy 
By J.D. Vance 

This book is both captivating and heart-breaking.
It's extremely well written and I'd recommend it to anyone. 

To back up, shortly after the election,
this book was advised to help those understand the Trump supporters,
specifically the working class of the major swing states like Ohio.  
I put it on hold at the library and was shocked to find the longest waitlist ever:
I was mid-300s!
I guess I wasn't the only stumped voter. 

When it was my turn, a little bit of me dreaded reading it.
But as soon as I read the intro, his conversational writing style
and story sucked me in completely.
Although as I said, it's hard to read as a parent.
Lots of sad stories about children that I just want to scoop up in my arms
and hold tight in a hug. 
And when it was finished, 
I absolutely understood why Middle America was caught up in Trump's 
"Make America Great Again" slogan.  
It makes perfect sense.  





Confessions of a Domestic Failure 
By Bunmi Laditan

I plan to write more about this book later, 
but as a general overview, 
it's an odd mix of depression, awkwardness, 
and downright pee-your-pants-laughting wit. 
I really liked the ending and how she wraps it all up, 
so if you find yourself slogging through the middle, 
just know it does perk up in the last few chapters. 


Down the Rabbit Hole 
By Holly Madison

My post-college roommate was obsessed with "Girls Next Door" 
so I saw a lot of it, 
probably the most I've ever watched of trashy reality TV. 
Therefore, I was excited to read this book, 
and actually really loved it. 
Her writing style was simple enough 
(it sounded like her) 
and I just love me some "behind the scenes" detail. 
That said, if I hadn't watched "Girls Next Door," 
I would have zero idea what was going on in this book, 
so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless someone watched the tv show. 

1 comment:

  1. I had A Man Called Ove reserved at the library but then heard some people not like it so I took it off. Guess I'll put it back on my list! I read some good ones in July I think you'll like - doing my post later this week! I think I have 4 you'll be interested in! The Alice Network, Irena's Children, A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty, and The Hired Girl.

    ReplyDelete